· Chiuta ·
We Picked Because: Nico and Tomas simply love the remoteness this country inspires in us. It is the 'explorer' in both of us that is wildly attracted to Africa's biggest country.
Located near Lake Kivu in the DRC, this organic and Fair Trade certified coffee comes from 5,600 farmers, each of who tends a very small area of farmland for coffee. With now nearly 1,120 women farmers (20%), SOPACDI was founded by Joachim Munganga in 2002 who restored a washing station in the area to enable growers in these extremely remote highlands in DRC to get their coffee to the world.
- Tasting Notes: Toffee, cocoa and grapefruit with an fresh wood aftertaste.
- How to Brew: Coffee dripper, French Press, V60
- We Roasted: Medium-Dark roast to allow fruity flavor notes to blossom, enhance the faint toffee aroma, and bring to life the earthiness that the West side of the Rift Valley coffee beans offer.
- Variety: Bourbon and derivatives
- Processing Method: Washed
- Elevation: 1460–2000 m
- Soil Type: Volcanic
- Country: Congo
- Region: North Kivu
- Farm name: Various small farms
- Grower: 5600 small farmers tendering cherries to SOPACDI
- Harvest: March–June (main crop); September–October (fly crop)
- Certifications: Fair Trade
- New Lot: 2018, Same Washing Station
Note: Like you, we want your coffee experience to be totally satisfying. Give us your feedback (good | bad | great) through our contact page or emailing us here. If you are not happy with your choice we can always change it.